Tuesday 25 June 2013

War Movies - 13 jan 2009

Where was I, ah! yes, just had my rejections from the MoD, not that its affected me though, I still love our armed forces, not in a biblical way but as a huge mark of respect for the way they have done their jobs over the last 800 odd years, usually against massive odds. I know its probably not very PC to love your military but its in my blood somehow, and I'm far too gone to try and work out exactly what it is that facinates me, but seeing two movies at a young age may have exerted some influence over me, any ideas what they maybe?, ....heres two subtle clues:

My older brother took me to see 'The Battle of Britain' at the Majestic Cinema in my home town of Middlesbrough when it was first released in 1969, i was only 7. I vividly recall the scene where the front gunner of a Heinkel He111 gets shot in the eyes and his goggles fill with blood....(as i say its never affected me.....) it was probably also responsible for the start of my love of aircraft too, my first 72 scale Airfix Mk1a Spitfire was only round the corner (buts that another story). Even now there's very few films, especially with the CGI, that has come close to the aerial scenes that BoB captured and indeed started the ball rolling for the aircraft preservation scene in the UK. I seem to recall i also had a leaflet or film booklet that came with that very first screening, but what happened to it i have no idea, (probably in the same place as my 1960's Batmobile, original Thunderbirds models, the Captain Scarlett SPV and UFO Green Moonbase Interceptor!!)
'Zulu' i first saw about a year earlier at my brothers senior school film club night, i will never forget the 16mm event as 'Men of Harlech' boomed over some crappy school speaker system, and the immortal lines; '' Zulus Sir, farsands of 'em'' was etched into my memory. Even now i can't let the films pass me by if i catch them on cable, even though i have DVD special editions of both films.
One other movie i am fond of which i saw as a kid was the 1958 John Mills movie 'Dunkirk'. Its a film which for me captures a good portrait of the British Tommy in the early part of WW2, and on reflection its apparant that theres just something about the underdog coming out on top thru adverse conditions which appeals to me. Of course theres been other movies which i admire and enjoy, 'Waterloo' is a very underrated movie, just look at the scale of the thing, although sketchy and contrived in places its a spectacular period piece. 'Apocalyse Now' i rate in my top five too, if just for the hell of getting it made (if you get a chance to see the documentary about the making of it 'Hearts of Darkness' watch it!), the great music soundtrack, and the fact that it was made when 'Vietnam' was an embarrasing and dirty word in late 1970s america.
I'm still waiting for the definitive movie version of 'The Falklands War' - An Island Too Far', (Francis Ford Coppola if you arnt too busy), again it will be about a small force, greatly underestimated and under provisioned overcoming the evil forces of despotism and tyranny and kicking some arse just when we needed it. But i doubt it, it seems ok for Hollywood to glorify its forces thru movies like 'Jarhead' 'Blackhawk Down' 'Courage Under Fire', but we brits just seem to want to brush our armed forces exploits politely under the carpet and forget what they have done in the name of our govt. I dont want to get too political here, but i get slightly uneasy when i think of our lads in Afganistan, at war, but we here just seem to go about our daily lives with no thought of what we as a nation are involved in. Still, no doubt in years to come it will be another glorious chapter in the history of what i consider the best armed forces in the world.
Just dont mention Agincourt whilst on holiday in France, you WILL be lynched. Now THAT WAS a battle.
Here's one in the eye for you froggies.....

No comments:

Post a Comment