Tuesday 25 June 2013

My collection - 14 Aug 2008

Welcome to my second post. This time i have made a short movie showing the main interest of my militaria collecting, Helmets.

I kinda got into it in a roundabout way. I bought my very first two helmets at a military re-enactment show in the summer of 2001, i was there taking photos of the event and was astounded at the diversity of traders and what one could buy from them; from swords to bayonets and rifles to medieval crossbows or second hand swedish ex-military underwear!! I thought i should buy something and i almost bought a deactivated SMLE rifle for a trivial £100, (oh how i wish i did, now), but i hesitated and eventually saw a stallholder with loads of boxes of 'stuff'. I dug deep and pulled out what i thought was a jerry helmet, and a nice 'american' type helmet; £20 quid each and they were mine, the seller even thru a swiss bayonet in for an extra tenner. SOLD!.

I took the helmets home and never really thought much about them, they eventually ended up into my mothers loft for 4 years whilst i sorted a new life out after my divorce. After going 'home' to pick up my last few bits from my mothers (inc my box of Airfix soldiers and my old game of 'Striker', ) i looked closely at the 2 helmets and decided to check them via 'Gods Gift' of the internet. This eventually, after a lot of googling, proved they were infact a Norwegian M1 clone and a Spanish Modelo 42, a lightweight version of the jerry squarehead. I was hooked by the thought of getting a version of the WW2 helmets of all the major combatants, and the advice and help available by forums like the 'MilitaryHelmetCollectorsClub' was invaluable. The next step was where to find them at a reasonable cost, there were no military antique shops nearby and virtually no shows in Scotland to buy a bargain, so it was to Ebay that i turned, and lo and behold there were 'thousands of em' (to borrow a quote from Zulu).

And so you can now see for yourself the current collection, unfortunately they are still boxed up and awaiting a dedicated room for display, when this will happen gawd only knows, so for now i have to have the odd 'appreciation day' when i get them out and remember why i collected them in the first place. I have catalogued and tagged each helmet for future reference, and the 70 odd helmets are probably worth about £2000 as a complete set. Not much in financial terms but priceless as artifacts from 2 world wars and the cold war period when the world stood on the brink, (have we passed the 'brink' yet, ??)

Here's the short movie for your enjoyment, and yes i know, i still have an old xbox, the xbox 360 is due in 2009.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A0VAqe2vU6M

No comments:

Post a Comment